Dramatic new details coming out today about the capture of those three inmates who escaped the Marshall County jail.
Jose Martinez was caught in the Swearingen community of Marshall County. That was yesterday. But, it's Abraham Lopez and Jose Rodriguez who's capture came with help from people in the community.
WAAY 31 talked exclusively with the store owner who helped break the case.
Sheriff Scott Walls says the trio of inmates planned their escape for a week. The plan was to be out of Alabama within eight hours.
That never happened.
Their plan also failed to account for the help that would come from inside a Guntersville business.
Spending Sunday night out in the woods and out in the rain, it was one down and two to go by Monday. The two remaining escapees were down on their luck.
"We weren't aware that they were the escaped inmates," Navid Niakossary told WAAY 31. "But, later on, we found out that they were."
Niakossary owns National Wireless.
Employees at the store tell WAAY 31 the duo hid behind a truck near the back of the store. When a customer came out, he found his friend who drove him there being strong-armed.
"They were attacking the driver asking him if they could get a ride," Niakossary told us. "And, they took his iPhone, beat him upside the head a couple times. And they ran away."
That victim and his friend ran inside the store.
"They said, 'Call 9-1-1! Call 9-1-1!'," Niakossary said. "And we were trying to figure out what happened."
Employees called for help while Niakossary checked the store's security video to get a description of the men.
That helped identify the frustrated fugitives who left on foot.
Humble about the store's part in the capture, Navid Niakossary is glad the escaped inmates are back behind bars. "We're proud to be part of it. We didn't do anything though."
A customer followed the two men and pointed police in the right direction. Minutes later, Guntersville Police caught them walking down the road.
- Guntersville store owner helps police nab escapees
- Police: OnStar technology helps nab a suspect
- Roundabout might help Guntersville traffic
- Florence police nab Walmart burglary suspect
- Fred’s closing stores in Florence, Russellville, Guntersville, Tuscumbia
- Lawrence County authorities searching for jail escapee
- Franklin County escapee captured in wooded area
- Vigil held for Guntersville woman
- Guntersville police are investigating 3 deaths; 1 double-homicide
- Community watch group helps nab suspect in multiple vehicle break-ins