A grandmother is speaking out about a student hitting her grandaughter at Whitesburg P-8 school in Huntsville.
A Facebook post from the girl's grandmother said her granddaughter was surrounded by a gang of students before being punched in the head, but the school says there are no gangs at the school. It was simply a disagreement between two students that resulted in a fight.
The post from Susan Calhoun, who said her granddaughter was attacked by a gang of students at Whitesburg P-8 school Thursday. Calhoun said her granddaughter told her abut the ongoing issues at school the night prior to the attack and said they immediately filled out a bully form online.
Calhoun says the issue escalated Thursday and the 4th grader was circled after defending her friends.
Huntsville City Schools tells a slightly different story. WAAY 31 was able to ascertain the newsletter sent home to students. It reads in part, "To clarify the post on Facebook, there were not any 'gangs' involved nor are there any 'gangs' at Whitesburg School. Per witness statements, what started as two students joking about each other developed into a situation in which one student was punched in the head by the other student. I want to assure you that hitting or punching someone is not acceptable at Whitesburg School."
The principal then said staff took appropriate actions afterward by confirming students were okay, talking to witnesses, contacting families and following the behavioral learning guide.
Calhoun says she thinks the behavioral learning guide is ineffective at handling issues and takes too long. She feels it often results in teachers over-documenting, which she thinks takes away from learning. She did praise Whitesburg's prinicipal for following the bullying form, and she thinks that is the more effective way to manage situations.
The student was not seriously hurt in the incident, but the individual was out of school today.
She will be returning to school on Monday.
- Grandmother speaks out after she says granddaughter was attacked at Whitesburg P-8
- Grandmother & Granddaughter Killed in New Year's Day Crash
- Limestone County sheriff: Grandmother holds chase suspect at gunpoint while granddaughter calls 911
- Huntsville City Schools P-8 model will be split into elementary, middle schools
- Huntsville police close portions of Whitesburg Drive following wreck
- House fire on Whitesburg Drive forces lane closure
- Traffic alert: Downed power pole closes portion of Whitesburg Drive
- Update: All lanes of Whitesburg Bridge now open following wreck
- Whitesburg Baptist Church closing day care, summer camp programs
- Pedestrian hit by vehicle on Whitesburg Drive in Huntsville