An 8-year-old male giraffe at the Atlanta Zoo died after his head became stuck in a narrow opening in a railing that is part of his enclosure, WSB-TV reported.
The giraffe, named Zuberi, was noticed by workers after they saw strange movement going on inside his enclosure.
Workers rushed to his aid but couldn't save him.
A necropsy is now set to formally determine how Zuberi died.
Workers reported seeing Zuberi acting perfectly normal in the minutes before his death. They also said the other giraffes in the enclosure are behaving normally despite the sudden death in their heard.
- Giraffe at Atlanta Zoo dies in freak accident
- Baby giraffe welcomed at Milwaukee Zoo
- Veteran Atlanta news anchor Amanda Davis dies after stroke
- Tour boat survivor says captain was 'freaking out'
- Georgia Dome imploded in downtown Atlanta
- Lil Wayne's Atlanta concert ends in mayhem
- Power Outage in Atlanta Grounds Flights, Strands Passengers
- Atlanta-bound Delta jet makes emergency landing in Nigeria
- Atlanta airport Wi-Fi finally operating after attack
- Missing CDC worker's body recovered in Atlanta river