Funland Skate Castle, a popular landmark in Decatur, is still closed for repairs after last month's storm damage.
The owner of the business, Lisa Lee, says that she decided to close the skating rink at the end of April when she realized that the damage to the building might make it too dangerous for customers.
In a statement to WAAY 31, Lee says that, "This gives me chill bumps thinking about the tornado in Montgomery. It destroyed fun Zone. This is different because we're going to have children coming back into the same building."
This is not Lee's first time dealing with damages to one of her businesses and she says that she understands that it will be a long process to get things back operating again. Decatur Fire Marshall Jason Jones told Lee that she needed to work on construction and electrical concerns but she could still stay open. Lee said that she decided to close the Skate Castle temporarily for safety reasons.
Rain from the storms damaged the smoke alarm and sound systems. Before Lee opens up again, she wants to make sure that everything is safe. While the business is closed, Lee decided to add more entertainment options for customers.
Many customers complained because they had previously made reservations at the business for this summer. Funland Skate Castle gave everyone a full refund and offered customers a free party at no cost to them once business resumes.
Lee plans on re-opening the Skate Castle in mid-July along with a new laser tag room and bumper cars.
- Funland Skate Castle temporarily closed
- Skate Castle in Decatur to reopen after storm damage
- Muscle Shoals Post Office temporarily closed due to unsafe conditions
- Gas leak temporarily shuts down Winchester Road
- Kitchen fire temporarily shuts down Arab restaurant
- Damaged Morgan County road temporarily reopened
- Emergency repairs temporarily close Four Mile Post Road lane in Huntsville
- Blasting at Town Madison to temporarily close part of I-565 Tuesday
- Traffic Alert: Crews temporarily closing portion of Bell Factory Road in Madison Co.
- Traffic Alert: Portion of East Limestone Road to temporarily close for construction