A house fire in Franklin County has just about destroyed a family's home and left them without their beloved pets.
Firefighters said the fire happened around 8 a.m. Monday at a home on Stockton Road in the Tharptown community.
Part of the home's roof collapsed in. Firefighters said when they got there, the house was completely engulfed, but the woman inside made it out.
Jerry Smith sprang out of bed and ran outside to see his great niece's house on fire.
"Around 8 o'clock, I was laying in bed and heard a popping," Smith said. "I looked to see if there was anybody in the yard or anything, and I didn't see anybody."
Smith said a large puff of smoke followed his great niece as she came out and flames were shooting from the roof.
"She was shaken up bad. Of course, she had her animals in there, a couple of her dogs and others she was worried about, but there was no rescuing them. It was over," Smith said.
Firefighters said the fire does not seem suspicious.
Smith said his great niece has lost everything.
"It can be replaced. It's not like a life," he said.
Smith said his great niece's husband was already at work when the fire started, and they are going to stay with other family members until they get back on their feet.
Firefighters said they don't know how the fire started, and they are still investigating.