Franklin County Schools has its first school resource officer, and the district hopes to add more.
Franklin County Deputy Brent Wells is the county's first school resource officer. He splits his time between six campuses at nine different schools in the county. School officials hope to add another full time officer by the end of the next school year.
"It's extremely important, especially after the last school shooting in Florida. Everybody's attention to this subject is really went up and it's critical. This is something we've been trying to get for a long time," Wells told us.
The officer's salary is paid for by the school system, county commission and the sheriff's offic. The school system is working to secure funds for an additional officer.
- Franklin County adds first school resource officer
- DeKalb County Schools to add two more school resource officers
- School resource officers now at every Colbert County school
- Huntsville School Resource Officers host summer camp
- Decatur school officials want more school resource officers
- School resource officers now in Tuscumbia City Schools
- Deadly crash in Franklin County
- Morgan County Schools adds new safety precautions
- Schools without resource officers can now arm administrators
- School systems that 'share' resource officers could arm administrators