A four-year-old boy is in the hospital after he was injured by a lawnmower Sunday afternoon.
The Limestone County Sheriff's Office told WAAY 31 that the boy was running behind the lawnmower and the driver of the mower didn't see the child.
Deputies said he was taken by Air Evac to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital for a leg injury. They said he was transported in serious condition, but was expected to recover.
LCSO received the 911 call around 2:12 p.m. and responded to McKee Road in Toney along with Oak Grove Volunteer Fire Department.
WAAY 31 talked with some neighbors about the unfortunate accident.
“It gets to me a bit, because what if that was my daughter?”
Andre Cook lives right next door to the family whose Easter holiday was turned upside down when their four-year-old little boy was accidentally run over by a lawnmower.
“I would never want my daughter to go through that kind of pain," Cook said. "I would never want to experience that kind of pain.”
According to officials, the little boy was running behind the mower and the driver didn’t see the child.
It’s something Cook said could’ve easily happened to his family.
“As a parent, I know anything can happen," he said. "We could turn our heads for one second and all hell could break loose."
That’s why Cook says his family has ways to ensure no one is hurt when they’re doing yard work.
“Whenever we cut our grass, we have our daughter stay inside and play video games or just read books," he said.
In the meantime, Cook said he'll be thinking about the family.
“My heart goes out to that family, and, hopefully, it will be a speedy recovery.”
- 4-year-old hurt after lawnmower accident in Toney
- Lawnmower accident kills Cherokee County man
- Overnight fire destroys Toney home
- Two charged with murder of Toney teenager
- Toney road reopens after afternoon wreck
- Suspect caught after search in Toney
- Accidental shooting in Toney leaves neighbors worried
- Home a total loss, 4 displaced after Toney house fire
- Toney man killed in Decatur hit-and-run
- Toney homeowner's trash fire gets out of control