Photo Gallery 4 Images
Four jailers from the Marshall County Jail are facing charges for sneaking cell phones and tobacco into the Marshall County Jail, authorities said Monday morning.
George Gregory Gass, 29, of Scottsboro, Robert Lindsey, 32, of Joppa, Braxton Pierce Lamb, 20, of Arab, and Javon Cortez, 21, of Arab were all charged with promoting prison contraband, according to the Marshall County Sheriff's Office. All four have posted $500 bonds.
Marshall County authorities said they discovered how the contraband was being moved into the jail after restoring order at the jail last week.
On Wednesday, inmates "physically engaged" with jail staff during a shakedown, resulting in the sheriff's office calling police in from all over the county to help restore order. Sheriff Scott Walls said no one was injured during the conflict and blamed a lack of funding for the incident.
Lindsey had worked at the jail for approximately one year. The other three had been there about two months, authorities said.
All four jailers were relieved from duty Friday morning, according to the sheriff's office.
Just last week, the sheriff's office arrested another former corrections officer who they said had given a cell phone to an inmate.
Marshall County Sheriff Scott Walls and the departments Public Information Officer did not respond to multiple calls Monday.
WAAY 31 is trying to find out what is being done about the current staffing issues.
With the four arrests last Friday the jail is staffed at 65% of the budgeted positions.
Sheriff Walls lost in June's Primary Election to Phil Sims.
Sims is runnin unopposed in the November General Election and will take over as Sheriff on January 21st.
Sims told WAAY 31 he will not criticize what is going on at the department, because he is not intimatly involved with what is happening. He said he will wait until he is sworn into office in January to impliment his plan for how he is going to run the jail.
- Four Marshall County jailers charged with smuggling contraband
- 2 Marshall County inmates charged with having contraband in jail
- Madison County ex-jailer charged with sex crime
- Alabama prison guard faces contraband charges
- Sheriff: Lawrence County Jail inmate bites one jailer, hits another
- Three former Marshall Co. corrections officers plead guilty to promoting prison contraband
- Marshall County man charged with meth trafficking
- Sweep of Morgan County Jail uncovers marijuana, illegal contraband
- Marshall County tornado shelters
- DeKalb County sheriff: Illegal immigrants caught in human smuggling operation