Fort Payne police say three people ended up arrested after family members assaulted officers during a man’s arrest.
About 5:20 p.m. April 6, Fort Payne Police Department officers went to Deerfield Apartments to serve a warrant on Jeffery Delane Watts, 45, according to a post on the department’s Facebook page.
While officers were attempting to take Watts into custody, several of Watts family members attempted to interfere and assault officers on the scene, the department said.
Watts was eventually taken into custody on the warrant that officers were there to serve. He was also charged with resisting arrest, second-degree possession of marijuana, and possession of drug paraphernalia.
Police said James Michael Lewis, 26, of Fort Payne was charged with second-degree assault, disorderly conduct and public intoxication.
Richard Edward McDaniel, 24 of Fort Payne also was arrested and charged with second-degree assault, disorderly conduct and public intoxication.
Police said warrants were obtained April 8 for Courtney Lashay Clark, 24, of Fort Payne. Clark was not arrested at the scene, police said, because after she assaulted an officer and was tasered she was transported to the hospital when it was discovered she was pregnant.
Police said a photo of her is not available.
- Fort Payne police say family members assault officers during arrest
- Fort Payne woman arrested after drug investigation
- Fort Payne police investigating sock theft
- Fire destroys police officer's house in Fort Payne
- DeKalb County jury: Fort Payne man guilty in assault on police officer
- Fort Payne police: Man held on $517,500 bond for assault, resisting arrest, more
- Fort Payne man arrested for threatening law enforcement, resisting arrest
- Fort Payne woman facing meth charges
- Dog found shot dead in Fort Payne
- Dog shot with crossbow in Fort Payne