Authorities say a Florida man who was the subject of a manhunt in Alabama was shot and killed by Pennsylvania state police overnight.
Pennsylvania state police say officers tried to stop 45-year-old Steven Brooks on Interstate 79 in South Strabane late Thursday. They say Brooks drove away and went the wrong way down a ramp from Interstate 79 to Interstate 70 before crashing his vehicle into a bridge support column around 11:30 p.m.
Police said Brooks ran from the crash, scaled a fence and turned toward troopers with a gun in his hand, according to Pittsburgh ABC affiliate WTAE. He was shot and pronounced dead around 1:40 a.m. Friday.
No other injuries were reported in the incident, which remains under investigation.
Authorities haven’t said why officers tried to stop Brooks’ vehicle.
U.S. Marshals and Madison County deputies tried to arrest Brooks Wednesday evening in the Harvest area. Brooks held officers at bay in a home on Loganberry Lane, and then took off in a car from the home's garage.
Brooks abandoned the car after it lost a tire and caught on fire, authorities said. They said he stole a white pickup truck and left the area.
Brooks was driving the truck stolen from Limestone County at the time he encountered Pennsylvania state police, Limestone County authorities said.
Brooks, who also went by the name Sideeq Ma'Shooq, was wanted for the murder of his landlord, Caroline Morton-Hicks, 59, in Pinellas Park, Fla. Police there said Brooks shot her as she was leaving an orchestra practice in February. Brooks was behind on his rent, police said.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Florida murder suspect shot by police in Pennsylvania
- Florida murder suspect sought in Harvest community
- Police: Madison murder suspect arrested on Florida beach
- Madison police: Another Skyline Road murder suspect caught in Florida
- Arab police say attempted murder suspect shot in Louisiana
- Neighbor unknowingly watched Florida murder suspect steal truck
- Huntsville police: Man shot after confronting suspects
- Police: murder suspect kills himself in Lawrenceburg
- Huntsville police catch suspect in Sunday murder
- 2 Florida Sheriff's deputies shot and killed