A student is in custody for a social media threat against a Florence school.
The department says Florence City Schools administrators were notified on Saturday of a threat made on social media about the Florence Freshman Center.
A 16-year-old student at Florence Freshman Center was taken into custody that night and charged with terrorist threats. The student was booked in the Tennessee Valley Juvenile Detention Center.
"The Florence Police Department is working with the Lauderdale County Juvenile Probation Office and Lauderdale County District Attorney’s Office to make certain appropriate action is taken in this case,” Florence police said in a statement.
Florence City Schools released this statement:
Florence City Schools is committed to keeping our parents informed about issues regarding student safety. On Saturday, February 22, 2020, Florence City Schools administrators were notified of a threat being made on social media concerning Florence Freshman Center. As part of our system’s safety protocol, the Florence Police Department was immediately notified of the situation and a Florence Freshman Center student was taken into law enforcement custody.
The school district is cooperating fully with the Florence Police Department, and we continue to take steps to ensure the safety of all students across our school system. It is of the utmost importance to us to ensure that our students are educated in a safe and nurturing environment.
We would also like to take this opportunity to remind parents to discuss with their children the importance of making good, positive decisions every day instead of negative choices that could get them in trouble and jeopardize their futures. Whether a threat is made via text, email, or posted on social media, it will be taken very seriously.
In addition to any possible criminal charges a student may face, if it is discovered they have made a threat against any Florence City Schools campus or fellow students, they will also face disciplinary action as defined in the FCS Parent/Student Handbook. A copy of the Parent/Student Handbook can be found on our website at www.florencek12.org.
The Florence Police Department will be handling all aspects of the criminal investigation and we defer all questions of that nature to law enforcement.
- Florence student arrested for social media threat against school
- Student in custody after Pisgah High School social media threat
- Jackson Co. student in custody over social media threat
- Parents react to social media threat to Geraldine High School
- Cherokee student arrested for school threat
- Principal: Huntsville High School student arrested after social media post, weapons found
- School officials, Law enforcement say social media threats are out of hand
- Florence student arrested for bringing a gun to school
- Social media tips lead to Madison man's arrest, deputies say
- Florence Burglar Arrested