Florence police are investigating a homicide that happened on Tuesday just before midnight.
Officers responded to a call of a shooting on Carver Court in Carver Heights Public Housing.
Police say the victim is a 45-year-old black male from Florence. They identified him as Reginald Jackie Watkins, II. His body was sent to the Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences for an autopsy.
A second man was also shot, and he was treated and released. Police believe Watkins and the other man are friends. They're working to find out of the two shot eachother and if so, why?
Camille Summerhill, lives only a few doors down from where the shooting happened. She said, "I never thought my child would be disturbed out of his sleep to something like that."
Summerhill said she didn't know Watkins or the other man, but said she was having to explain to her 8-year-old son what happened as they walked passed the scene on their way to the bus stop.
"It's normally quite and peaceful but it will never be the same again, not for an 8 year old child," said Summerhill. "He didn't want to leave me he said mama what do I have to do about you? You have to go back by yourself mama I'm scared. At the moment all you can do is hug them and tell them you love them."
The department is working to identify witnesses. Officials say the motive of the shooting is unclear.
Anyone with information is asked to call police at 256-768-2728 or text a tip to 274637 with the keyword “FPDTIP” and your message.
- Florence police investigating homicide in public housing complex
- Florence death ruled as homicide
- Lauderdale County Homicide Investigation
- Huntsville Police investigate a possible homicide
- Florence police investigate armed robbery at business
- Florence Police investigating deadly shooting Saturday
- Police investigating shooting at apartment complex in Huntsville
- Police Investigating car break-ins at Huntsville shopping complex
- Police investigating accidental shooting at Huntsville apartment complex
- Huntsville apartment complex fire under investigation