The Florence Police Department says one person is dead after a Monday morning house fire.
The police department said the call came in a little after 2 a.m. Monday. The department is working with both the Florence Fire Department and the state Fire Marshall’s office.
Florence Fire Officials told WAAY 31 they have evidence to indicate some type of explosion happened at the home on Stewart Avenue. Multiple residents in the area also reported hearing some type of loud boom.
"I thought it was thunder and I commented to my wife, 'I didn't know we were going to have bad weather,' and then I heard another boom right after it," said Jeff Hodges, who lives a few houses away from the home that caught on fire. "Even though it was three houses away from us, you could see the glow. It was a huge fire at that point."
Florence Fire officials said the fire did damage some surrounding homes' siding. Right now, they don't know how the fire started.
Officials have not released the name of the victim, pending autopsy results and notifying next of kin.
- Florence police: 1 dead in early morning house fire
- Officials investigating early morning house fire
- Huntsville Fire crews battle early morning house fire
- Decatur Fire & Rescue battles early morning house fire
- 1 dead in early morning Huntsville wreck
- One person dead in early morning wreck
- One woman found dead in early morning house fire in Lawrence County
- Huntsville Fire responds to early morning fire
- Huntsville man dies in house fire early Saturday morning
- Early morning house fire in Decatur displaces two men