Photo Gallery 1 Images
The city of Florence hopes installing a traffic light at a busy and dangerous intersection will decrease the number of wrecks in the area.
The city plans to repave parts of Mall Road and install a traffic light at the intersection of Mall and Hough roads, near Oasis Day Spa.
Florence police said the intersection is notorious for accidents.
"We have witnessed several wrecks in the few years that we've been here," said Catherine Wright, who works across from the intersection at Oasis Day Spa. "Everyday there are several close calls."
Wright said around the holidays traffic gets worse on the road with people leaving the mall, but every day it gets busy with people leaving work.
"We always tell everybody when they leave here to watch, because people go really fast on this road," said Wright.
Florence police said they also see a lot of accidents in the area.
"A lot of times people will take chances in pulling out from this intersection here, and that's one of the concerns they have in reducing accidents -- especially accidents with injuries," said Florence Police Lt. Chris Ticer.
The city plans to install a traffic light at the intersection to get people to slow down and hopefully lessen the number of accidents.
"I believe that it would be a good asset for this road," said Wright.
Adding the traffic light is a part of a bigger project to repave Mall Road, according to the Florence Mayor. They have put out bids on the project and the traffic light could be installed sometime in 2019.
- Florence plans to repave Mall Road and install traffic light
- Mall Road repaving project is underway in Florence
- City of Florence says Mall Road re-surfacing will allow detoured traffic for businesses
- City of Florence to repave 10 problem streets
- New Traffic Cameras installed in Guntersville
- Wrecked 18-wheeler blocks Florence traffic
- Franklin County citizens want to see a traffic light installed on Highway 24
- Traffic signal to be installed at intersection of Burgreen Road and Highway 72
- Traffic signals are being installed at Burgreen and Dupree Worthey Roads
- New traffic lights almost finished in Madison