Photo Gallery 1 Images
A Shoals native and his wife were celebrating their 15th anniversary in the Bahamas when a boat they were on exploded.
According to multiple friends, Florence native Tiran Jackson is in critical condition after the boat they were on exploded. His wife, Maleka Jackson did not survive the explosion.
WAAY 31 spoke with a handful of Tiran Jackson's classmates from Coffee High School who said their hearts break for the Jackson family and they hope Tiran can make a full recovery.
Jackson's classmates said he is a stand up guy. Last year, when the Coffee High School class of 97 celebrated their 20 year high school reunion not everyone could afford the reunion tickets. Classmates said Jackson bought tickets for those who couldn't afford it. His classmates said that's just the kind of guy he is.
According to a close family friend, Jackson had to have a limb amputated because of the explosion. Friends have set up a donation account to help with medical expenses.
WAAY 31 confirmed the couples 12-year-old son was not on the trip with them. There were 10 Americans in all on the boat, at least 8 others were also injured.
- Florence native injured in Bahamas boat explosion
- A man bought 100 generators to help the Bahamas. They're being delivered by boat
- French boat rescues injured Indian sailor from yacht
- Authorities: Explosion at Florida shopping plaza injures 21
- Iowa native wins American Idol
- Woman remains critically injured after Florence house fire
- One Florence fireman injured; others continue battling downtown fire
- UPDATE: One dead, one injured in Florence wreck
- Florence man dies in Texas car wreck; two others from Florence injured
- Boating Crash Arrest