The Florence Police Department arrested a father Tuesday after his son was found in a grocery store wearing nothing but a diaper.
Mark Foss is facing a misdemeanor charge of endangering the welfare of a child.
Police say the boy was found in Wilson Food Center on W. College Street about 9 a.m. Tuesday. The store is a few blocks from the Foss home.
“He came in without any parents and I was very shocked and I ran to my mom and we found him and we were confused and wondering where he came from,” said Parmis Hekhamenesh, whose family owns Wilson’s.
That’s when they called 911.
Police posted a photo of the child on social media, asking for help identifying his parents. The parents were identified about 30 minutes later. Police were told the child’s mother was at work.
Florence police said they and the Department of Human Resources found the child’s father, Mark Foss, asleep in their home on Hill Street. They said he did not realize the child had left the home.
DHR placed the child with his aunt and is investigating.
Hekhamenesh and her family gave the boy diapers and food as they were leaving.
“I was really shocked and I felt really bad for the kid without any clothes and any family. It really touched me,” she said. “We tried to give him food at first and we tried to just talk to him and ask what his name was and where he was from."
The child's father was taken to the Lauderdale County Detention Center. It's unclear if he has posted bond as this time.
- Florence father charged after son found alone, in diapers in store
- Son charged with father's murder in Lauderdale County
- Father and son drown off Alabama coast
- UPDATE: Missing Florence woman found
- LifeWay closing Huntsville, Decatur, Florence stores
- Florence police seek liquor store robbery suspect
- Florence police arrest liquor store robbery suspect
- Woman arrested after meth pipe found in baby's diaper, deputies say
- Father of missing 5-year-old charged with the murder of his autistic son
- Father shot his son in the mouth, authorities say