A death investigation in Florence is now a homicide, and police are asking for the community's help.
Florence police told WAAY 31 that 26 year old Jose D'Leon was found dead in his home near the University of North Alabama on May second.
One of D'Leon's friends found him dead inside his home in the historic part of Florence. Police are being tight lipped on how D'Leon died because they say that is a crucial part in their investigation. We do know he was a native of Vermont and had only lived in the area for about two years.
"The whole place was just lit up with activity and I asked them what was goign on and they said y our neighbor has passed away," Sara Moseley told us. She lives right behind the house Jose D'Leon lived in, she says it's shocking to know his death is now a homiceide, she had only seen him come and go a few times.
"It's very upsetting. It's very distrubing and I am one of several neighbors in the community that are super upset about it," Moseley added.
Florence police told us they cannot release meany details right now surrounding the death of D'Leon but they believe he was dead for about 24 hours before a friend found him in his home on May 2nd.
"He worked some part time jobs here and there. We're still trying to track down some of those," Florence police Sergeant Greg Cobb told WAAY 31. The police said D'Leon wasn't from the area and kept to himself, which is making their case more difficult to work.
"We've been told by neighbors and other friends and family that he was a homebody if you will," Sergeant Cobb told us.
Florence police say it could take months to get the complete autopsy results back because of backlog at the state forensics lab.
- Florence death ruled as homicide
- UPDATE: Investigators rule mobile home park death a homicide
- Tuscumbia police rule death of 83-year-old woman a homicide
- Florence police investigating homicide in public housing complex
- Death of Alabama inmate ruled suicide
- Masked gunman's death at McDonald's ruled justified
- Lauderdale County Homicide Investigation
- Guntersville police are investigating 3 deaths; 1 double-homicide
- Man charged with murder in death of Florence woman
- Police ask for information in Florence man's death