On Thursday at approximately 4 p.m., State Trooper Michael Vernon, 32, was arrested at the Lauderdale County Courthouse.
Florence Police say he is facing two charges of violating a protection from abuse order. He is booked in the Lauderdale County Detention Center.
Vernon was previously arrested on January 9 and charged with two misdemeanor counts of third degree domestic violence. For more information about this previous arrest, click HERE.
It's unclear what Vernon's bond will be at this time, but his personnel file shows he was on administrative leave two days before his domestic violence arrest. He is currently under investigation by the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency.
In an exchange between state employees, Vernon's situation was called, "soap opera material." Vernon was suspected of having an affair with another state trooper's wife and was asked by the family to stay away from her, documents show.
A complaint was filed against Vernon accusing him of taking a picture of a court clerk, showing the trooper's wife and telling her that it was her late husband's mistress. Vernon was placed on administrative leave and stripped of his equipment on January 7. Two days later, Florence Police were called to his home where his wife said he became physically abusive.
Vernon's personnel file is below:
- I-Team: State trooper arrested for violating protection from abuse order, Florence Police say
- Man violates protection order
- Florence Police arrest state trooper for domestic violence
- Florence Burglar Arrested
- Florence Police arrest man for vandalizing billboard
- Florence man charged with child abuse
- Man arrested in Florence murder
- Man arrested for Florence murder
- Decatur man charged with state ethics violations
- WAAY 31 I-Team Investigation: Protecting Patients