According to Florence Police, they received a call for a person in mental distress around 9 a.m. on Thursday at the 2300 block of Chisholm Road. The person is now dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
The male barricaded himself in a residence with firearms. When police approached the home, a shot was fired but was not directed at the officers. SWAT responded to the scene.
Police and neighbors say they did not want the situation to end with this person taking his own life.
"It's really scary just knowing that it can actually happen this close in this community, because this community is pretty quiet," said a neighbor, Katie Vargis.
Police say they will consult with the coroner and district attorney's office to determine if the person's body will be sent for an autopsy.
- Person dead after standoff at Chisholm Road
- 4th person shot dead in Tampa neighborhood
- One person dead in Athens car wreck
- One person dead, investigation underway in Huntsville
- One person dead in Tuscumbia crash
- One person dead in early morning wreck
- One person dead in Florence shooting
- One person dead after wreck in Athens
- Florence Fire: Family loses home and one person dead
- One person dead after shooting at a Huntsville Taco Bell