Photo Gallery 3 Images
UPDATE: (8:30 p.m.) The admissions director at Shoals Christian, Didi Vardaman, says Kenan Jones's family says he is being transferred to a children's hospital in Birmingham for more extensive testing and treatment.
According to Florence Fire Department officials, a 14-year-old football player at Shoals Christian collapsed during summer workouts at the school at about 10 a.m. Tuesday.
The school's principal, Didi Vardaman, has identified the student as Kenan Jones. He has been flown to Huntsville Hospital in serious condition.
Didi Vardaman, the admissions director at Shoals Christian School, has been in contact with the Jones family all afternoon.
"They are very strong in their faith as well as can be expected right now. They know they have a lot of people praying for them, and they are in the best hands that they can be. His vital signs were good when they moved him to Huntsville, and so it's mainly an observation making sure he's okay," said Didi Vardaman.
The school hosted a prayer vigil in the gym at 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday. The school is located at 301 Heathrow Drive, Florence.
- Shoals Christian football player collapses during practice, taken to Birmingham hospital
- UPDATE: Shoals Christian football player who collapsed now awake, breathing on his own
- Westminster Christian Academy football forming future football players
- Flanagan leaving Randolph for Shoals Christian
- Roy Moore's 'Jewish' attorney practices Christianity
- Teenage football player collapses at game, later dies
- Wall collapsed injuring Oakman High School football players
- NCAA bans teams using former football players from practice
- Lauderdale County football player severely injured during practice
- Decatur Heritage stays perfect in win over Shoals Christian