CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - Alabama defensive back Minkah Fitzpatrick, Georgia linebacker Roquan Smith, Houston defensive tackle Ed Oliver, Iowa linebacker Josey Jewell and North Carolina State defensive end Bradley Chubb are the finalists for the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, given to the nation's top defensive player.
The finalists were named Wednesday. The winner will be announced Dec. 4 at the Charlotte Touchdown Club awards banquet.
Fitzpatrick is the versatile leader of Alabama's stingy defense. He lines up at cornerback, safety and linebacker and has 44 tackles. Smith has 82 tackles to lead the Bulldogs and 2½ sacks. Oliver, the lone sophomore in the group, has 10 tackles for loss. Jewell is fourth in the country in tackles with 104. Chubb has 23½ tackles for loss, including 10 sacks.
More AP college football: www.collegefootball.ap.org and www.twitter.com/AP_Top25
Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Fitzpatrick, Chubb, Jewell among 5 Nagurski Trophy finalists
- Fitzpatrick among 5 Alabama underclassmen entering NFL draft
- Dolphins draft Alabama safety Fitzpatrick in 1st round
- National Championship Trophy in Madison
- Marie Antoinette's jewels up for auction
- Florence man accused of stealing from Decatur Kay Jewelers location
- Athens State University picks 4 presidential finalists
- Mars Hill Bible Brings Home First State Football Championship Trophy
- Nashville a finalist for Major League Soccer team
- Amazon picks 20 finalists for its second headquarters