HOPEWELL, Va. (WTVR/CNN) -- Firefighters revived a dog found lifeless inside a burning home in Hopewell Saturday morning.
When firefighters were called to a home in the 2900 block of Bluefield Street at 6:30 a.m., they spotted flames coming from the back of the structure.
“When we made entry into the building, the entire kitchen was involved,” firefighter Thomas Mason said. “Me and firefighter Hudson started making our search through the house… And we go to an animal cage.”
In that cage firefighters found an unresponsive dog.
“It didn’t have a heartbeat,” firefighter-EMT Clayton Deguentz said. “It wasn’t breathing at all.”
First responders initiated CPR on the animal and were able to revive the animal. They also applied oxygen using a pet mask.
“It’s basically just a cone that goes over their nose," Deguentz explained. "It’s supplemental oxygen no different than we would give a patient in the back of an ambulance.”
The pup was up and walking around by the time the owner returned home.
Hopewell Animal Services also responded, off-duty, to make sure the pet was fine.
Battalion Chief K. Kennedy said he was extremely proud of his team.
“These guys put in a lot of hours training. And the pet mask is one thing we have to train on," Kennedy said. "They work hard. They do a good job and their efforts showed today.”
Firefighters, who had the fire under control in 20 minutes, are investigating what sparked the blaze.
™ & © 2018 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.
- Firefighters revive lifeless dog pulled from burning home
- WATCH: Athens firefighters revive unresponsive dog trapped in house fire
- Huntsville EMT and off-duty firefighter pull man from burning vehicle
- 11th Circuit revives Birmingham minimum wage lawsuit
- Athens firefighters pull grandmother through window in fiery rescue
- South Korea hails news of revived US-NK summit
- Alabama editor promoting KKK revival says he's selling paper
- Huntsville Fire & Rescue plan to burn home for training exercise
- Man offers reward for info on burned dog in Marshall Co.
- Woman, dog lose home to early morning fire