Friday afternoon, a fire broke out at Summer Place Apartments. Officials say the cause of the fire is unknown. They also say the fire began on the second floor apartment and impacted the apartment underneath it.
"All of a sudden, they pounded on the door and said the apartment upstairs is on fire and I said, 'How can that be?'" said a resident, Paul Thiel.
Paul was shocked when he learned that the apartment above him caught on fire. He said he thinks the fire started after he tried to warm up his apartment.
"The apartment was kind of cold so I turned the heater up, but that didn't help and it was still cold, so I started a fire," said Thiel.
After that he said he started to see some smoke.
"I just opened the door up to let the air out and the alarm shut off, so I thought everything was okay," said Thiel.
He said he thinks it all started because he was unaware there was wood stuck in the chimney while his fire was burning in the fireplace. Officials confirmed the fire did start on the second floor.
As for Paul, he said he's just thankful no one was hurt.
"Lucky for them, they weren't home," said Thiel.
- Fire erupts at Summer Place Apartments
- Huntsville Fire: Magnolia Place Apartments fire was accidental
- Fire reported in Huntsville apartment
- Huntsville fire crews respond to apartment fire
- Fire in Huntsville apartment building leaves 7 without place to stay
- Huntsville emergency crews respond to fire at apartment complex on Thicket Place
- Early morning fire destroys apartment unit
- Huntsville apartment complex fire under investigation
- Downtown apartment fire displaces two Fayetteville residents
- Several residents escape apartment fire Sunday morning