Firefighters in Guntersville said a fire at the Pilgrim’s Pride Chicken Plant was caused by some sort of mechanical issue that led to an ammonia leak. Workers initially believed it was the leak that caused the fire.
Fire crews said the fire broke out just after 5 Thursday morning. Albertville Fire with Huntsville Fire's HAZMAT team responded to the scene to help Guntersville Fire crews. Workers at the plant were immediately evacuated. Officials said there are no injuries. Two other plants nearby were shut down after the fire. Guntersville Police said they have asked all neighbors in the area to keep their windows shut and stay inside after the leak.
"At about 7:30 they (police) came and knocked on the door and there was a young officer and he said there was an ammonia leak," said Jeff Gorgus, who lives nearby.
Multiple neighbors in the area told WAAY31 they were concerned for their safety.
"Its not good to inhale stuff like that," said Pam Wheeler.
The Pilgrim's Pride Chicken Plant will be closed Thursday. All workers were sent home for the day Thursday.
- Multiple departments battle fire at Pilgrim's Pride Chicken Plant
- Tyson, Pilgrim's Pride jacked up chicken prices, say lawsuits
- Athens releases Pilgrim's Pride redevelopment plan findings
- Multiple departments battle Meridianville brush fire
- Athens City Council moves closer toward future of old Pilgrims Pride plant site
- Pilgrim's Pride releases name of worker killed in Guntersville plant incident
- Guntersville's Pilgrim's Pride plant has faced more than $20,000 in fines since 2014
- Athens to spend $2.7M to revitalize Pilgrim's Pride property
- Pilgrim’s Pride settles suit based on Guntersville discrimination claim
- Athens welcomes input on Pilgrim's Pride site development