Suspended Fayetteville Fire Department Fire Chief Danny Travis is no longer with the department.
Travis had been suspended earlier this month and was scheduled to meet with Fayetteville city administrator Scott Collins Monday morning. Collins said Travis gave him a retirement letter an hour before they were supposed to meet.
Travis was suspended for using a racial slur toward a black police officer, Collins said.
In a grievance letter sent to the city obtained by WAAY 31, the officer stated he heard Travis in a 911 audio recording refer to him as a "g*****n n****r." Travis made the call to 911 after finding a cell phone that he believed belonged to someone involved in an incident at a bar, according to the complaint.
The retirement was backdated to Jan. 5, the date of his suspension, so technically the suspension didn't count, Collins said.
Travis had been with the fire department for 36 years.
Some people who live in Fayettefille believe Danny Travis decided to retire the day he was put on suspension so he wouldn't have to deal with the consequences of him allegedly using the "N" word.
"I'm going to say this and retire. They can't do nothing to me. It seems like he knew what he was doing basically," said Joshua Brunson.
Others who know Travis personally said they believe he's a good guy.
"Racial slurs, we don't need them in this country but in this day in time, people take stuff more serious than over the years," said Rex Sullivan.
Collins said Travis will receive his full benefits which will come from tax payers.
"I don't think he should be using it period. And as far as his benefits, why should he getting something like that. No one should use racial slurs," Jessica Brunson said.
"36 years in the fire department. Evidentally he's done something right. As a fire man and then the chief," Sullivan said.
There's an interim Fire Chief who replaced former Chief Danny Travis. The city will hire a new chief with 30-60 days.
- Suspended Fayetteville fire chief retires
- Fayetteville's fire chief suspended, according to report
- Fayetteville, Tennessee Fire Department Chief suspended
- Fayetteville, Tennessee Fire Department Chief resigns
- People in Fayetteville react to Fire Chief's suspension
- Federal civil rights complaint filed against Fayetteville fire chief
- Downtown apartment fire displaces two Fayetteville residents
- UPDATE: Missing Fayetteville woman found
- Attempts to get copy of 911 call of Fayetteville Fire Chief using racial slurs denied
- Mayor: Fire Chief Danny Travis suspended for making inflammatory comments