BREAKING NEWS Scottsboro Fire Chief: One person shot by deputy at Jackson County Courthouse Full Story
STREAMING NOW: Watch Now

Family of 10 displaced after house fire

The fire started in the Madison County home's kitchen.

Posted: Oct 18, 2018 8:45 PM
Updated: Oct 19, 2018 5:18 PM

A family of 10 has been displaced after a fire that injured one of them and killed a family pet.

The Hazel Green Fire and Rescue Department chief said his department was the first on the scene for the house fire that started in the kitchen. Meridianville and New Market fire departments also responded, and all three departments were able to keep the fire contained to the kitchen area. The home has severe smoke damage.

We know that of the five adults, five kids and pets that lived in the house, one woman was transported to Huntsville Hospital with minor burns, and a small family dog died in the fire. A 13-year-old boy was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation, because he stayed inside the house for too long trying to save all of the family pets.

The Red Cross was also at the scene. They'll help the family with their immediate needs like food and cleanup supplies as well as get them a place to stay for a few days.

Article Comments

Huntsville
Few Clouds
89° wxIcon
Hi: 93° Lo: 69°
Feels Like: 91°
Florence
Clear
92° wxIcon
Hi: 96° Lo: 70°
Feels Like: 95°
Fayetteville
Clear
86° wxIcon
Hi: 93° Lo: 66°
Feels Like: 87°
Decatur
Clear
89° wxIcon
Hi: 95° Lo: 67°
Feels Like: 92°
Scottsboro
Clear
88° wxIcon
Hi: 93° Lo: 66°
Feels Like: 93°
WAAY Radar
WAAY WAAY-TV Cam
WAAY Temperatures

Community Events