A birthday vigil was held for a murdered Hartselle man Sunday night at Big Spring Park.
Daniel Osborn, Jr. was reported missing in February. His body was later found buried at a home in Cullman County.
He would’ve turned 23 on Sunday.
Two of Osborn’s friends, Tyler Hudson and Andrew Maresh are charged with the murder.
It was a quiet, somber night at Big Spring Park as friends and family gathered to remember a loved one they lost too soon.
“We went fishing on lake Guntersville," Daniel Osborn, Sr. said. "We used to box when he was younger. And me and him used to go hunting.”
Osborn, Sr. says he can’t stop thinking of all the memories he made with his son. His namesake. A man in his own right who was good to everyone he ever met.
“Brought food to people who had none. He’d give people rides to wherever they had to go when they’d call him. He was an all-around good guy," Osborn said.
That’s why it’s so hard for Osborn to believe anyone could have murdered his son--especially so-called friends.
“Him giving money up to get Tyler and Drew Maresh out of jail. And this is the way they repaid him," he said.
The devastated dad says it’s going to be a long road ahead, but the vigil gave him a bit of peace.
"It helps in the healing process, I guess you would call it. You know, but it’s probably never going to go away. We’re going to continue healing probably the rest of our lives," Osborn said.
However, he takes comfort knowing his son is in a better place.
“It’s hard, you know, that my son’s long gone, but it’s a little more peaceful in my heart knowing where he’s at," Osborn said.
Osborn, Sr. says he just hopes justice will be served.
“We were robbed," he said. "And I’m sure justice is going to take care of any loose ends left behind.”
The Osborn family tells WAAY 31 they’ve set up a memorial fund in Daniel Jr.'s name.
The money will go to help find missing children, which is a cause they believe would have made their son proud.
- Family, friends remember murdered man on his birthday
- Friends remember woman killed in murder-suicide in Madison Co.
- Friends, family remember teen killed in Limestone Co. crash
- Family remembers Huntsville teenager who was murdered last year
- Family and friends need help finding missing man
- Family, friends say final goodbye to McCain
- Daughter of murder victim remembers dad
- Family of murdered man still seeking answers
- Family remembers teen who drowned saving girlfriend
- Riverton Elementary celebrates 100th birthday