STREAMING NOW: Watch Now

Family: Tom Petty died of accidental drug overdose

AP Photo/David J. Phillip, File

Tom Petty’s family says his death last year was due to an accidental drug overdose.

Posted: Jan 19, 2018 7:19 PM

NEW YORK (AP) — Tom Petty’s family says his death last year was due to an accidental drug overdose.

His wife and daughter released the results of Petty’s autopsy via a statement on his Facebook page Friday night. Dana and Adria Petty say they got the results from the coroner’s office earlier in the day that the overdose was caused due to a variety of medications.

The statement was posted moments before the Los Angeles coroner’s office issued its official findings, which confirmed that Petty had a variety of medications, including fentanyl and oxycodone in his system.

They say Petty suffered from emphysema, a fractured hip and knee problems that caused him pain but he was still committed to touring.

He had just wrapped up a tour a few days before he died in October at age 66.

(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

1/19/2018 6:32:04 PM (GMT -6:00)

Article Comments

Huntsville
Overcast
37° wxIcon
Hi: 50° Lo: 35°
Feels Like: 37°
Florence
Few Clouds
33° wxIcon
Hi: 54° Lo: 33°
Feels Like: 28°
Fayetteville
Overcast
37° wxIcon
Hi: 51° Lo: 30°
Feels Like: 32°
Decatur
Overcast
37° wxIcon
Hi: 50° Lo: 34°
Feels Like: 30°
Scottsboro
Scattered Clouds
34° wxIcon
Hi: 51° Lo: 35°
Feels Like: 34°
WAAY Radar
WAAY WAAY-TV Cam
WAAY Temperatures

Community Events