A family of seven--two adults and five children--has been displaced after a Wednesday morning fire in Athens.
No one was injured in the fire, thanks in part to a Good Samaritan who was driving on Nick Davis Road and saw the flames, kicked in some windows, and rescued a 15-year-old who was inside sleeping. WAAY 31 spoke with that teen about the rescue.
“Some dude drove by and saw our garage on fire, and ran down and kicked all of the windows downstairs in," Nate Metzger said.
Metzger was sound asleep when a stranger woke him up with terrible news.
“He was screaming, ‘Your house is on fire!’”
Metzger quickly got up and ran outside.
“I was really scared and in shock," Metzger said. "The whole garage was on fire, with like 30 to 40-feet flames.”
It didn’t take Metzger too long to realize that his home was a total loss.
“We had just re-done the kitchen and living room," he said. "I wanted to do internet stuff, so I had a whole studio set up downstairs to do recording and stuff.”
But Metzger told WAAY 31 that's just stuff, and he’s glad no one else in his family was home when the fire started. He also wants to thank the man who saved his life, Clifton Kirby.
“It was perfect timing on everything--that the fire started at that time and no later, that he came by at that time and decided to stop and kick in all the windows," Metzger said. "I’m really happy he did. I’m thankful for that.”
Clifton Kirby is a building inspector for the City of Athens and a reserve officer for the Athens Police Department.
At this time, it’s unclear what caused the fire. We’ll stay on top of this story and let you know when we find out.
Two dogs died in the fire.
- Family: Good Samaritan saves teen from Athens house fire
- Good Samaritans rush to save 74-year-old woman from attacker
- Good Samaritans rescue woman from Tennessee River
- Family combine destroyed in Athens fire
- Body found after house fire in Athens
- Family remembers teen who drowned saving girlfriend
- An Athens family loses everything in kitchen fire
- WATCH: Athens firefighters revive unresponsive dog trapped in house fire
- Athens police officers' good deed caught on camera
- Athens police investigating shooting