Update: Falkville Police say the victim was 44-year-old Jeremy Shane Gray.
Police are not releasing the suspect's name, but they say she was released from jail Monday night. They say this was an isolated incident and she is not a threat to the public.
According to police, the suspect shot the victim four times. They say he had multiple shots to his upper body. He died at Decatur Morgan Hospital.
A Falkville woman is in custody as police investigate the shooting death of her husband.
Falkville Police say a domestic dispute may have led to the shooting on Cedar Creek Road at the couple’s home in Falkville about 3 p.m. Monday.
Falkville Police Chief Aaron Burgess said there was an altercation between a wife and husband. He said the wife grabbed a rifle and fired multiple times at her husband.
She then called 911.
“We were given a dispatch call in reference to a domestic disturbance,” Burgess said.
The Morgan County Sheriff's Office also responded and assisted in the investigation.
Burgess said police are looking at all possibilities in this case, from self-defense to murder.
The victim was taken by helicopter to a hospital in critical condition and ultimately did not survive his injuries.
Burgess said a forensic analysis needs to be done to know how many times and where the man was shot.
The firearm was taken in as evidence.
“It was a 22 caliber rifle,” Burgess said.
Falkville police said late Monday that neither the name of the man or woman will be released until family members are notified.
Burgess said he can’t remember the last time something like this happened in this small Morgan County town.
“This is an extreme rarity, in the police jurisdiction of Falkville,” he said. “It's been years since anything like this has occurred.”
Police expect to return to the scene Tuesday for further investigation.
- Falkville police: Woman accused in shooting death of husband released from jail
- Falkville police chief resigns
- Falkville falls in the quarterfinals
- Falkville woman dies from injuries sustained in Lawrence County wreck
- 1 dead in Falkville shooting; suspect in custody
- Neighbors shocked after fatal shooting in Falkville home
- Police: Cullman County woman with road rage shoots husband
- Elkmont woman files wrongful death lawsuit in husband's death
- Crews rescue dog in Falkville house fire
- Rescuer discusses saving family from Falkville flooding