BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — A former police recruit in Alabama has been indicted in a fatal stabbing.
Twenty-one-year-old Arron Jamal Gaines is charged with intentional murder for the February slaying of 20-year-old Dietrich “Dede” Boone. AL.com reported Tuesday that a Jefferson County grand jury issued the indictment May 4. Birmingham police said Gaines went to Boone’s home on Feb. 9 and confronted him.
Sgt. Bryan Shelton says Gaines pulled out a gun and chased Boone. A gunshot was heard, and police initially suspected Boone died in the shooting. However, authorities said Boone was stabbed before Gaines fled the scene. An autopsy later revealed Boone died from a stabbing.
Gaines was a Birmingham Police Academy recruit. He resigned in January before he could be terminated for sustained allegations of misconduct.
- Ex-police recruit in Alabama indicted in fatal stabbing
- Alabama inmate fatally stabbed
- Alabama inmate fatally stabbed, several others injured
- Big recruits land in Alabama
- Police investigate fatal stabbing in DeKalb County
- Ex-police recruit charged with murder in Alabama shooting
- Florence woman indicted after fatal wreck
- Kobe Brown opens recruitment
- Former Alabama police officer indicted for unlawful force
- Huntsville Police ramp up recruiting efforts