BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) - Authorities say a former police recruit in Alabama has been charged with murder.
Birmingham police Sgt. Bryan Shelton tells AL.com 21-year-old Arron Jamal Gaines is charged in the Friday afternoon killing of 20-year-old Dietrich "Dede" Boone after an apparent domestic dispute.
Gaines was a Birmingham Police Academy recruit who resigned in January. He had been accused of conduct violations and left before being terminated.
Shelton says Gaines had gone to Boone's home for a confrontation and carried a handgun when he chased Boone off his porch.
Gaines surrendered to police roughly an hour after the shooting.
Jail records say Gaines was charged Sunday and remained held Monday on a $125,000 bond. It is unclear if he has a lawyer.
Information from: The Birmingham News, http://www.al.com/birminghamnews
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
2/13/2018 12:06:33 PM (GMT -6:00)
- Ex-police recruit charged with murder in Alabama shooting
- Big recruits land in Alabama
- Ex-police recruit in Alabama indicted in fatal stabbing
- Man charged with murder in shooting at Alabama family party
- Kobe Brown opens recruitment
- Huntsville Police ramp up recruiting efforts
- Police charge juvenile with murder following Huntsville teen's shooting death
- Chicago police ‘recruits’ new ‘pawfficer’ – Gizmo the police cat
- Huntsville Police Officer charged with murder
- Huntsville police charge man with murder