Signing Day came early this year, well, part of it at least.
College football's traditional signing day is still the first Wednesday in February, but the NCAA added a three-day period this week to get the ball rolling.
Two local standouts singed their National Letter of Intent with the Auburn Tigers. Including Austin running back and Alabama's Gatorade Football Player of the Year, Asa Martin.
Martin, a four-star recruit is the No. 1 running back in the state of Alabama and is expected to be a great addtion to the backfield come next season. Head coach Gus Malzahn praised Martin in a press conference Wednesday.
"Asa Martin, running back, he is very versitile, he's a guy that really reminds us of Kerryon Johnson. He can run. He can catch. He's a very good pass protector. We're very excited about him.
Decatur's Josh Marsh also signed his name on the dotted line with the Tigers Wednesday.
Marsh, a linebacker who is ranked No. 36 in the state made a big impression at Auburn's annual camp, according to Malzahn.
"Josh Marsh, linebacker, a guy that really caught our eye in camp. I think he ran a 4.48 in camp, just flew around. He has an edge about him, very excited about him."
Overall, Auburn signed 15 recruits Wednesday. Another standout is three-star wide receiver Shedrick Jackson from Hoover. Jackon is the nephew of Auburn legend and Heisman winner Bo Jackson and the No. 11 ranked player in the state.
Four-star dual threat quarterback, Joey Gatewood, the highest rated high school quarterback in years, also signed with Auburn.
The University of Georgia came in as the No. 1 ranked recruiting class by ESPN, The University of Alabama came in at No. 6, followed by Auburn University at No. 9.
- Early Signing Day pays off big for 2 Decatur athletes
- Alabama adds 20 student-athletes on first day of Early Signing Period
- Bob Jones Baseball has big signing day
- Bob Jones has big signing day
- Early signing period for the 2020 National Signing Day
- Decatur police investigating early Tuesday shooting
- Two Randolph athletes sign Letters of Intent
- James Clemens Trio Commits on Early Signing Day
- Decatur High Linebacker Signs with Auburn