Huntsville Times Square is working with Downtown Huntsville Inc. to throw a big New Year's Eve party.
It is set to be a night of free family fun, but event organizers are also using the event to help those in need.
Event organizers are asking everyone who comes to donate canned food for the Downtown Rescue Mission.
The rescue mission tells WAAY 31 that this time of year is one of their busiest as hundreds in need come in weekly to get bags of food.
The goal is to collect 10,000 cans at the New Year's Eve event.
"It's amazing to see the difference that hope makes and if a can of food is what it takes to get them through the day, then we are so grateful to be able to do that," said Tonia Beverly with the Downtown Rescue Mission.
The New Year's Eve event is at the Huntsville Times Square, which is at 228 E Holmes Avenue.
The event starts at 7 p.m.
There will be bands, food trucks, family friendly activities, and a countdown to midnight.
- Downtown New Year's Eve party doubles as canned food drive
- Downtown Huntsville New Years Eve party prepares for cold weather
- Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve Special
- Weather postpones Huntsville New Year's Eve celebration
- Barrels of Love food drive kicks off
- WAAY 31 teams with local radio stations for canned food drive
- Tennessee Valley braces for freezing New Year's Eve
- Man sent to hospital after New Year's Eve Shooting
- Huntsville Police swarm apartment complex after New Year's Eve shooting
- Vigil planned for New Year's Eve shooting victim