Madison County authorities are on the scene of a wreck which has caused US 431 to shut down in New Hope.
Crews are at US 431 in between Ed Spears Road and Old Highway 431 after they say a accident involving a mower caused a utility pole to fall down. The mower was in the right of way when it hooked a telephone line that crosses over the road. This caused the pole to topple over.
The incident happened near Galen's Restaurant.
The moving accident also caused a fire to break out in the median of the roadway, and much of the grass in the area was burned as a result.
While all lanes were shut down at one point, crews are now reopening southbound lanes. Northbound lanes remain closed.
Huntsville Utilities says the majority of customers now have their power restored after a brief outage. Crews remain in the area finishing repairs.
It is unknown at this time if tanyone was injured as a result of the downed pole.
WAAY 31 has a crew at the scene. We will provide new details in this story.
- Downed utility pole, fire cause US 431 to shut down in New Hope
- Wreck knocks down utility pole, blocks Mastin Lake Road
- Down trees, utility poles block several roads overnight
- Motorcyclist hospitalized after wreck on Highway 431
- Woman hurt in US 431 crash
- Vehicle wreck smashes mailbox, hydrant and utility pole; hospitalizes driver
- Driver arrested after crashing through utility pole on Washington St.
- House fire shuts down Sparkman Drive
- Madison house fire shuts down intersection
- Kitchen fire temporarily shuts down Arab restaurant