Senator-elect Doug Jones is bucking longstanding tradition.
In Washington DC, tomorrow, Jones takes the oath of office to become Alabama’s first Democratic senator in a quarter century.
Former Vice President Joe Biden
As tradition holds, Alabama’s senior senator, in this case Richard Shelby, once a longtime Democrat himself, would have escorted Jones down the Senate aisle to take the oath of office.
But, Senator Shelby's office tells WAAY 31 no one from Jones' team ever asked Shelby to do the honor.
Instead, longtime friend and former Vice-President Joe Biden will escort Jones.
- Doug Jones does not invite Senator Richard Shelby, picks ex-VP Joe Biden as escort
- Senator Richard Shelby meets with President Trump
- Ex-VP Joe Biden may make bid for President
- Doug Jones officially becomes Senator tomorrow
- Senator Doug Jones speaks with local farmers
- Sen. Doug Jones' Maiden Speech
- Democratic US Senate candidate Doug Jones holds rally in Huntsville
- President Trump congratulates Democrat Doug Jones on US Senate win
- Watch Doug Jones' speech following his US Senate victory
- Senator Doug Jones will be in Huntsville this Friday