While many retailers are shutting down stores, Dollar General is doing the exact opposite.
The discount retailer says it plans to open 900 new stores in 2018. This matches the Tennessee company's 2017 growth.
"For fiscal 2018, we have plans to execute approximately 2,000 real estate projects comprised of 900 new stores, 1,000 store remodels and 100 store relocations," said CEO Todd Vasos.
Dollar General released its third quarter 2017 earnings report Thursday, and it showed same-store sales growth at 4.3 percent aong with increased transaction amounts and customer traffic compared to 2016. The company's sales increased 11 percent from $5.32 billion to $5.90 billion.
Company shares increased more than two percent in Thursday trading.
- Dollar General plans to build 900 new stores
- Dollar General manager arrested for stealing from store
- Auburn police officer shot near Dollar General store, suspect sought
- Dollar General having free giveaways at new Lacey's Spring store
- Dollar General having free giveaways at new Huntsville store
- Second arrest made in Dollar General robbery
- Athens police seek Dollar General robbery suspect
- Dollar General hosting job fair in Decatur
- Family Dollar will close nearly 400 stores
- Produce, more products now available at Decatur Dollar General location