A deputy who pulled over theft suspects in the Elgin community overnight ended up shooting the driver, Lauderdale County authorities said Wednesday.
Shamarie Crayton, Paul Hinkle and Deandre Perry were all arrested after the incident, which happened on Highway 72 near the intersection of Highway 101 between 2:30 and 3:00 Wednesday morning.
Deputies investigating break-ins in the area pulled over the vehicle the men were in. Singleton says the driver, Hinkle, reversed the truck and ran into the vehicle of the deputy behind him. That is when the deputy fired a shot, hitting Hinkle in the shoulder. He was treated at an area hospital before being arrested.
Florence police were called in to investigate the shooting.
The deputies involved have not been placed on administrative leave, Singleton said.
Officials said they found stolen guns in the suspects' truck, and that the men were armed.
Each man was charged with breaking and entering a vehicle and first-degree theft. Their bonds were set at $20,000.
- Deputy involved shooting in Elgin
- Deadly deputy-involved shooting in Jefferson County
- Colbert County deputy involved in morning wreck
- Morgan Co. sheriff's deputies involved in a head-on collision
- Albertville police involved in overnight shooting
- Investigation underway after officer involved shooting
- Kentucky deputy shoots, kills suspect in Tennessee
- Huntsville police identify man killed in officer-involved shooting
- Dead woman found in car after Tennessee officer-involved shooting
- Alabama Bureau of Investigation looking into officer-involved shooting