Demolition on the South Huntsville Library is done. Now, crews are working to remove the debris, but neighbors will be dealing with construction for the next year.
The public relations director for the library said now that demolition is complete the project is scheduled to go to bid in March. Once City Council approves a bid, construction on the library will begin. People who live in the area said they hope this goes by quickly.
"It's been going on for a while, but they're finally, maybe today and next Monday, clearing off the last of the debris," said Catherine Stone.
The 39,000 square foot library will feature a cafe, conference room and large reading room for kids. This is something people who live here said will be good for the community. What's not so good though is the noise the construction is causing.
"I actually work nights, so I don't go home til 2, 3, 4 o'clock sometimes, so I'm usually just going to sleep ... when they start the work," said Katelyn Alverson.
Stone said she attended a community meeting just this morning to learn more about the state of the art library. She said she's impressed with what's to come.
"Bigger, better library. More up to date. Good up to date theater and lots more sports activities," she said.
Officials said they hope to start building in late April if city council is able to approve a bid that soon. The goal is to have the library completed by summer 2020.
"I think it'll be great when it's finally here, but I can't wait for it to be here," said Alverson.
The city said it has received over $6 million dollars in donations for the project, but it is still in need of more money. You can reach out to the Huntsville Library Foundation to help out.
The South Huntsville Library will be part of the Sandra Moon complex which will include the library, recreation areas and an arts center.
- Demolition for the South Huntsville Library completed
- South Huntsville library groundbreaking set for January
- New Drury Hotel in Huntsville nears completion
- Huntsville Library offers free flu shots
- South Huntsville workers hope for more business with road project completion
- Heavy smoke in South Huntsville
- 'Complete Streets' project to make Huntsville roads more cyclist-friendly
- Boeing completes Huntsville missile seeker expansion; adds 70 new jobs
- Demolition underway at Riverwalk Marina in Decatur
- Goodbye Grissom, Hello library