The Decatur City School District wants too add a school resource officer to every campus. Right now there are eight school resource officers in the Decatur City School District. Now the school system is working to add 13 more to put at least one officer at every school.
Austin High school's student, Dylan Newton knows what it's like to have a relationship with a police officer. Last summer, he was in the explorer program with the Decatur Police Department
"They taught us how to do traffic control and how to direct traffic," said Dylan Newton.
As a junior, he appreciates the officers assigned to the schools.
"These are people who, some of them I never met. Some of them I do know. And they're still waiting to put down their life for me," Newton said.
Decatur police told WAAY 31 in order to bring in more school resource officers, they'll have to hire more police officers, which they're in the process of doing now.
Director of Operations and School Safety, Dwight Satterfield said the city and school board already split the $700,000 cost to pay for the 8 current officers. To add more, the school system will have to come up with the money.
"We're hoping that the legislature would provide some additional funding," Satterfield said.
Satterfield said it's important to add officers to the elementary schools because those students are the most vulnerable during an active shooter situation.
"They have the least amount of training to be able to protect themselves. They're just learning about the safety precaution that we put in place in terms of lock downs and things like that," Satterfield said.
Decatur Police also said they will carry AR-15 rifles on campus when necessary.
- Decatur school officials want more school resource officers
- Decatur city official proposes for more student resource officers
- Franklin County adds first school resource officer
- Huntsville School Resource Officers host summer camp
- Sheffield hires two new school resource officers
- School resource officers now in Tuscumbia City Schools
- School resource officers now at every Colbert County school
- DeKalb County Schools to add two more school resource officers
- Scottsboro City Schools to get more school resource officers
- Madison County Schools get new school resource officers