UPDATE: Decatur police have identified the victim as 44-year-old Jason Edward Tapscott.
Decatur police are investigating a homicide that happened around 2:28 a.m. Thursday on the 1600-block of North Street SE.
Police say the department received a call to check on the well-being of a man, and when officers arrived at the scene, they found the man was shot once and killed. It’s unclear if the man lived there or if he was just visiting.
Anyone with information about the case is asked to contact Violent Crimes Sergeant Mike Burleson at (256) 341-4600. Police say this is believed to be an isolated incident, and persons of interest are being interviewed.
The investigation is ongoing, and no charges have been filed at this time.
One man who lives near where the crime happened said he heard the gunshot, but initially thought it was just fireworks.
“It was just like a total shock to me. I didn’t expect it, but a couple of weeks ago, they had that shooting over at Point Mallard and I said, ‘That’s close enough for me,’ but then, when it’s three or four doors down, that’s just hitting too close to home for me,” said a neighbor, Jeff Cooksy.
- Decatur police investigating deadly shooting
- Decatur police investigating shooting
- Decatur police investigating Saturday shooting
- Decatur police investigating early Tuesday shooting
- Albertville Police investigate deadly morning shooting
- Deadly shooting at Decatur apartment complex
- Victim in Decatur shooting dies, police investigating homicide
- Decatur police arrest suspect in apartment shooting investigation
- Decatur Police investigating fatal shooting of a 23-year-old
- State officials investigate deadly police shooting in Hanceville