A warning for people who live in decatur after police say there's a scam making the rounds.
In fact-- police sent out a tweet telling people to call them if they receive a phone call from someone claiming to be the IRS and requesting money.
WAAY 31 learned more about the scam and talked with people who say they've received that call.
"The type of robo call that says, you know, this is the irs and if you don't respond or send this amount of money then, you know, you'll be arrested," said Debby Terry.
Terry told me she's received several of these calls in the past all asking for her to send money and threaten jail time if she doesn't comply. She now ignores those calls-- but she isn't the only one receiving them. Quennis Stevenson told me the scammers called her husband monday. "Basically told him that he had so many days to -- I'm not really sure what he had to do, maybe pay some money or something like that -- but that he'd be going to jail."
Luckily Stevenson's husband realized it was a scam and didn't give any personal information but others aren't so lucky. That's why the Decatur Police Department is spreading the word to protect others from the scam.
"We've received, my belief, is between 20 and 30 calls within the last 24 hours to local residents in Decatur," said Detective Timothy Jackson with the Decatur Police Department.
Jackson told me there are some signs to look for that will let you know if you're being scammed. He said the IRS will never call you and demand a payment, they will not threaten to send law enforcement to your home to arrest you, and they can't revoke your license or your immigration status.
Stevenson said, she's wondering how the scammers got her husband's information. "It's kind of concerning because you don't know how much they know about you."
Detective Jackson said anyone who falls victim to the scam can make a report with the department -- but they do encourage victims to file complaints with the government. He said the department doesn't have the resources to thoroughly investigate the scams.
- Decatur Police Department warns residents of IRS scam
- Decatur police issue scam warnings, tips
- Decatur police warn of scam making the rounds
- Decatur Police Department hosting summer program
- Huntsville Police warn of a new scam
- Decatur Police Department offers Crime Map to community
- Decatur Police Department recognizes four patrol officers of the month
- Decatur Police Department addressing ‘unbecoming’ officer conduct caught on video
- Decatur police investigating shooting
- Madison police warn public of robo-call donation scam