On January 7 at 11:26 p.m., Madison County Sheriff's Office deputies responded to a shooting in progress at Carters Grove Road in Toney. The Criminal Investigations Division, including Crime Scene units, responded as well.
Law Enforcement, Emergency Medical Services and Fire Service performed CPR and life saving measures on the victim, 39-year-old Michael "Heath" Stockberger, that were not successful. He was pronounced dead at the scene by HEMSI paramedics at 11:54 p.m.
"It's a very bad situation. Hopefully someone can say some prayers and get through this tough time," said neighbor Brandi Wright.
Stockberger's family has been notified of his death. He suffered a single gunshot wound to the chest, and his body will be sent to the Alabama Department of Forensic Science for an autopsy.
Authorities say initial indications appear to show an accidental shooting, however, the incident will be investigated as any death by a firearm is. They also said this was an isolated incident, and there is no risk or threat to the public at this time.
Neighbor Brandi Wright said at first she thought a gunman was on the loose.
"First thing is, I'm looking around and trying to see if you see anybody or if anybody is coming up this way? Is it a random shooting? Is anyone hurt?" Wright said.
- Accidental shooting in Toney leaves neighbors worried
- Toney neighbors worry about flooding as Alberto makes landfall
- Family, neighbors in shock after deadly Toney shooting
- Overnight fire destroys Toney home
- Accidental shooting leaves Alabama child with minor injuries
- Two charged with murder of Toney teenager
- Toney road reopens after afternoon wreck
- Suspect caught after search in Toney
- Hampton Cove neighbors worried about speeding as school year starts
- Neighbor describes Christmas Eve shooting