Saturday morning Gunersville suffered its first homicide of the year.
A woman was shot and killed outside of a strip mall in Guntersville.
The Guntersville Police Chief Jim Peterson says it happened in the back corner of the Lake Shopping Center.
That's off Gunter Ave.
Police say they found 37-year-old Brandy Hammons in the parking lot with gunshot wounds at around 7 a.m. She was taken to the hospital, where she later died.
Peterson says within the hour of finding the victim, 31-year-old Salaam Gregory was identified as a suspect and arrested.
Police say the shooting happened after the two got in an argument in a car. They then went to the strip mall parking lot, where the shooting happened.
Police say this was a domestic violence situation, but wouldn't say how the two knew each other. They did say suspect and victim were familiar to each other.
The Guntersville Police chief says a homicide in the community is rare, but for Samuel Huwitt, who lives in the area, it's not surprising.
"It was new to hear, but not anything that blew me away in the times that we are in."
Just last year, Guntersville was shook to its core after police say convicted seial criminal Jimmy Spencer killed 3 people, including a little boy.
"Right now, there's a lot of hurt. There's a lot of people who don't find that they can do anything except violence and lashing out at people. I think it's an isssue on who we are as people," Huwitt said.
Now, the community is coming together to try to heal once again.
"We are praying for you. I know sometimes that seems like 'Oh that doesn't help.' But, we want to be there for you in any way we can. We know that you are hurting. We know that loss can't be covered, but God's with you. He's placed people in this world, and we just want to love you and know that there is somebody there for you."
Right now, it is not clear what kind of charges Gregory will face. He is being held without bond until officials meet with the Marshall county district attorneys to discuss formal charges.
- First homicide of the year in Guntersville after deadly shooting
- Family talks about Guntersville's double homicide victims
- Autopsies completed in Guntersville double homicide
- Guntersville police are investigating 3 deaths; 1 double-homicide
- I-Team: Investigators release motive in Guntersville triple homicide
- Drivers' names released after deadly three-vehicle crash in Guntersville
- Roundabout might help Guntersville traffic
- Vigil held for Guntersville woman
- HydroFest in Guntersville wants volunteers
- Excitement builds for Guntersville's HydroFest