The DeKalb County sheriff is dispelling a rumor that 11 bodies were found in the Grove Oak community.
Tyler Pruett, a public information officer for the sheriff's office, says during the last several days, the department has been "bombarded with calls regarding 11 bodies found."
Pruett says the sheriff's office is not aware that anything like this has happened, and agencies in surrounding counties are not aware of this either.
"To our knowledge, we haven’t even had a natural death in that area during that time period," he said.
The DeKalb County coroner told WAAY 31 he got the calls, too. First, someone called about a skull and then more and more calls came in. He says the fake body count got all the way up to 19. He even called the sheriff to find out what was going on.
People who had heard about the rumor told WAAY 31, they don't understand why someone would make this up.
"I honestly wouldn't believe that it could be somebody that has gotten rid of 11 bodies without people around here knowing. So, hopefully it's just a stupid prank and if that's the case, that's really sad," said Sandi Davis.
The sheriff's office says if anyone has found 11 bodies, they can call the department at 256-845-3801 to discuss with why they didn't report the discovery.
“We’re not sure where this rumor came from or who started it, but no such discovery in Grove Oak or anywhere else in DeKalb County has been reported to our office,” said DeKalb County Sheriff Nick Welden.
- DeKalb County sheriff: Rumors of 11 dead bodies are false
- DeKalb County sheriff investigating Crossville shooting
- One dead in Dekalb County crash
- DeKalb County Sheriff's Office recovers narcotics, stolen vehicle during arrest
- DeKalb County sheriff arrests several suspects after vehicle pursuits
- DeKalb County sheriff: Illegal immigrants caught in human smuggling operation
- DeKalb County sheriff: Man arrested after attacking elderly woman
- DeKalb County Sheriff’s Office mourning death of K9 officer
- DeKalb County Sheriff's Office identifies victim of Monday night shooting
- DeKalb County Sheriff: Former police officer found with marijuana, meth