DeKalb County Sheriff Jimmy Harris has announced one of his deputies was involved in a wreck that took his life Tuesday morning.
Sheriff Harris says Daniel Matthews, 56, died Tuesday in a wreck.
It was not released whether or not he was on duty at the time of the wreck or where the wreck happened.
Harris says Matthews was with the sheriff's reserves for two years before becoming a deputy, which was a position he held for four years. Matthews also worked for the Fort Payne Housing Authority.
“I have worked with Daniel for many years. He was a good person and deputy," said Sheriff Harris, "We are deeply saddened to have lost one of our deputies and it is hard for us because we are like family here at the Sheriff’s Office. Our thoughts and prayers goes out to his family.”
- DeKalb County deputy dies in Tuesday morning wreck
- Man dies in DeKalb County wreck
- Man dies in DeKalb Co. wreck
- Colbert County deputy involved in morning wreck
- Morgan County deputies wreck update
- DeKalb County teen killed in ATV wreck
- Victim identified in deadly DeKalb County wreck
- Cullman County deputy in critical condition after early morning wreck
- Troopers: DeKalb County deputy was not wearing seat belt during deadly wreck
- Search for DeKalb County teen continues Tuesday