According to the DeKalb County Sheriff's Office, officials received a call early Saturday morning about a man sitting near the gas station at the intersection of Highway 35 and County Road 47 (Powell Crossing), who was believed have narcotics in his backpack.
The sheriff's office says officials arrived at the scene and located the suspect, who was discovered to be in possession of marijuana, cocaine, hydrocodone pills, alprazolam pills and methamphetamine. The suspect, 45-year-old George Matthews of Madison, was taken into custody.
Courtesy of the DeKalb County Sheriff’s Office
On the way to the jail, the sheriff's office says he told an official he had left his vehicle behind the Kangaroo gas station on Highway 35 in Fort Payne. The sheriff's office says, after investigating the vehicle, it was discovered to have been stolen from Birmingham.
Matthews was charged with four counts of possession of a controlled substance, receiving stolen property first-degree, distribution of a controlled substance, possession of marijuana second-degree and possession of drug paraphernalia.
- DeKalb County Sheriff's Office recovers narcotics, stolen vehicle during arrest
- DeKalb Co. Sheriff's Office arrests multiple suspects after confiscating moonshine, narcotics, guns
- Multiple suspects arrested in Morgan Co. Sheriff's Office narcotics sweep
- DeKalb County sheriff arrests several suspects after vehicle pursuits
- Gurley police recover stolen emergency vehicle
- Marshall County sheriff’s office arrests man on stolen motorcycle
- DeKalb County Sheriff’s Office mourning death of K9 officer
- DeKalb Co. Sheriff's Office makes arrest in Amberly Barnett murder
- DeKalb County Sheriff's Office identifies victim of Monday night shooting
- DeKalb County Sheriff: Former police officer found with marijuana, meth