Severe thunderstorms capable of producing damaging winds and a couple of tornadoes are possible across the Tennessee Valley Friday night through early Saturday morning. New data Thursday afternoon indicates that risk for severe thunderstorms is growing increasingly likely, and the threats from those severe thunderstorms seem to be growing more serious.
Severe thunderstorms blasted parts of Kansas and Missouri on Thursday. While those individual storms will weaken long before they reach the Tennessee Valley, they are a part of the storm system we are tracking and give us some idea of what we could be dealing with.
Friday will be mostly quiet during the day. A few showers are possible, and it will be quiet enough that you may be tempted to let down your guard. Realize, however, that our risk for dangerous weather is not during the day Friday. It is at night. The risk can begin increasing between 10 PM and midnight Friday night. It will last through 5 AM to 7 AM Saturday.
Tornadoes and damaging winds will be significant threats from severe thunderstorms. Heavy rain on the order of 1-2 inches is also likely. Up to 3 inches is possible in localized cases.
Stay weather aware Friday night and Saturday morning. Make sure your NOAA Weather Radio is on alert before you go to bed. It will wake you up if dangerous weather threats. The WAAY 31 Storm Tracker Team will be live on air with updates any time severe weather threatens any part of the Tennessee Valley. Stay with WAAY 31 News on air and at WAAYTV.com for more updates.
- Dangerous Storms Could Bring Tornadoes To The Valley Friday Night
- Dangerous severe storms bring risk for tornadoes & damaging wind tonight
- Dangerous severe storm risk growing for Monday night & Tuesday morning
- Update: Friday Night Storms Ending, More Storms Saturday
- Three more tornado tracks found, bringing TN Valley total to 11
- Dangerous heat, some strong storms
- Dangerous heat returns Friday afternoon
- Friday Night Football Scoreboard
- Tornadoes injure 0 in Tennessee Valley in 2017
- Damaging wind, tornadoes, and hail threaten Valley tonight