Cullman County Sheriff Matt Gentry announced Tuesday that the mother of two boys found dead Saturday will be charged with murder.
Sara Franco Tapia, 32, faces two counts of murder in the deaths of 3-year-old Alvaro Garcia and 9-year-old Taylor Garcia.
Cullman County Coroner Jeremy Kilpatrick released the names of the two victims.
Deputies got a 911 call about 2:30 p.m. Saturday. When they arrived at the home on County Road 1718, they found the two children dead.
Tapia was found in an open field adjoining the home. She had multiple self-inflicted knife wounds, Gentry said. She is in the ICU and is being monitored by deputies. She will be transferred to the Cullman County Detention Center upon her release from the hospital.
The boys' father is not a suspect. The sheriff's office is trying to work with family and understand any motives.
WAAY 31 was in the community on Tuesday, where neighbors are taking the news hard.
They didn't want to go on camera, but said they're just as shocked and saddened Tuesday as they were Saturday when we first got out there.
Sheriff Gentry said the case has taken a toll on his department as well.
"Those children are living through something that is horrific and that we would not wish upon our worst enemy," said Sheriff Gentry.
He said his office has been working closely with the family to find out what a possible motive could be. He says Tapia does not have a criminal record, and deputies had never responded to the home before Saturday, which makes the case that much more complicated.
"If you see something in the community, report it. We have a great relationship with our community," said Sheriff Gentry.
We do know the boys have an older sister and she was not harmed. We don't know if she was home on Saturday when this happened.
We also know the boys' father will not be charged, but the sheriff's office says Tapia could eventually face capital murder charges.
- Cullman County sheriff: Mother faces charges in murders of 2 boys, ages 3 and 9
- Two children dead, mother in custody, per Cullman County Sheriff's Office
- Man arrested for murder of Cullman woman
- Suspect in deadly Cullman County shooting charged with 2 murders, 1 attempted murder
- Cullman County Sheriff: Armed suspect caught, children safe
- Man murdered in Cullman County remembered as pyrotechnics pioneer
- 4 arrested on drug trafficking charges in Cullman County
- Madison County Sheriff's Office charges man in murder of his mother
- 2 killed in Cullman County car crash
- Arab man killed in Cullman County crash