A Missouri couple allegedly locked four children in boxes then secured them with plywood and screws inside a home according to news reports from WESH.
Laura Cheatham, 38, and Daryl J. Head, 38, were arrested and charged with eight counts of child endangerment and kidnapping.
Officials told reporters they feared the children may have been kept in the homemade boxes for weeks. The kids, whose ages range from 6-12, had no access to water, restrooms or windows, and the home reeked of urine.
The Sheriff describes deplorable conditions inside Missouri home "I've seen some pretty nasty things, but nothing this deplorable," the sheriff added.He said the four children, three girls and a boy, had been adopted.The charges could put the suspects behind bars for decades, prosecuting attorney Jerrod Mahurin said.
When investigators tried to enter the home, the suspects reportedly would not let them in at first. Ultimately they said they saw one of the suspects unscrewing the plywood holding the boxes shut.
The four children have been placed in the care of Missouri’s Children’s Division.
- Couple arrested for allegedly keeping kids in boxes for weeks
- Florence woman arrested after allegedly cashing stolen checks
- Limestone County couple arrested on child porn, sexual misconduct charges
- DeKalb couple charged with extortion
- Fighting to keep Haleyville's hospital
- Clouds keep the weekend gray
- City: Box around Confederate obelisk doesn't break law
- HBO's first televised female boxing match breaking 'the last barrier'
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg documentary 'RBG' has box office muscle
- Madison Police see results with drug drop off box